These are Daleks.
The Daleks are a powerful race bent on universal conquest and domination, utterly without pity, compassion or remorse. They have had every emotion removed, except hate and have a desire to purge the Universe of all non-Dalek life. They are the greatest enemies of the Time Lord known as the Doctor and are popularly known for their catchphrase “Exterminate!”
You will need
A large, long t shirt $4
Roll of black duct tape $3.50
At least 18 plastic eggs $3
Black spray paint $1
Basic plunger $5
Fabric adhesive $3
Start by taping off the shirt.
I ripped my duct tape strips into halves and quarters to get the right looks and widths all across.
Do the same pattern on the back and let them connect down the sides of the shirt for an all around look.
I also cut of the sleeves of the shirts so they would appear more as an apron then a big ol’ baggy shirt and tucked the jagged edges inside and made them stick the with adhesive.
Next I tore 18 Easter eggs and half and tossed out all but two top, oval shaped, top parts. (i saved them to glue on a headband for blinky head lights) All the bottom, round, parts I spread out over a garbage bag and spray painted them black, it took about two or three coats to get them covered as well I needed.
After drying I took 9 black, egg bottoms and made three rows of three on the front of the shirt.
I used the fabric adhesive around their edges and stuck them back into place. After letting them sit for a few minutes I repeated the gluing in three rows of three on the back. I then allowed the shirts to sit overnight to make sure the glue was dry.
(Did not realize that tiny applesauce covered hands had just wiped their war across the rug before taking this picture.)
To make the shape at the bottom (will have to remember to get a picture of it) I cut three strips of cardboard from an old box we had lying around and duct taped them into a triangular shape, with the top point facing forward. I then simply duct taped it into the bottom of the shirt and when we were done with the costume, I pulled it out and stored it.
*I also saved two oval shaped egg tops in yellow to hot glue onto a plain headband for the lights on top of their heads and was able to pick up a plain ol’ plunger for around $5.
All together my total cost for making two of these costumes was around $25. Thrifty thinking and Geeky Parenting all in one.
If you are a fan of Doctor Who, or a fan of anything geeky, check us out on facebook at